Monday, July 27, 2015

Diligence Is Key To Re-invention

40 Tips To Re-Invent and Re-Launch at Age 40, 50, or Beyond. (Tip #13)

When seeking to re-invent yourself you have to be diligent in your transformational work. Life gets busy and we can easily fall into our old patterns.  Simply declaring change does not make it real.  You have to take consistent actions.

I am working on this in my own life.  I am trying to get past my previous short comings and learn from my mistakes, but it is hard to get away from the scripts that we have lived by in the past, and the expectations that others have for us.  When my schedule become crazy-busy I can see myself not living up to the plans for self-improvement.

Change can be lonely.  Those around us are either indifferent, unaware, or secretly skeptical of our efforts.  This is where personal spirituality can be important.  Regardless of if you are religious, many identify as "spiritual", and this can be key.  Your higher-power or connection to nature can be very helpful in these times of doubt and struggle in your re-invention.

Meditation, prayer, or quiet time in a peaceful place on a regular basis will help you get in touch with your own motivation for the new directions you seek.  Remind yourself of the reason you want to re-launch and assess your progress often. 

Journaling is an activity that seems to be cathartic.  I am not one to do this regularly, but this blog and my podcast fill this role.  Getting your thoughts and goals on paper or recorded can help you view them as tangible.

Schedule time to review your progress.  If you slip back into your former self and are not calendared to take stock of your changes then too much time can pass before you realize you are off your path.  A weekly appointment with your self is a great way to take stock of how you are doing.  More often might be better.

Being diligent is something I struggle with in my own journey.  I am often taking two steps forward and one step back.  The good news is that still means I am making progress.  

As I approach my 50th birthday I am feeling the need for proof that my life is improving and that I am living a more impactful existence. I know how isolating this can be, which is why I invite other pilgrims on a similar journey to reach out to me and share your own story.  If you email me, I will write you back (thom at thomsinger.com).  I am confident that when we know others share our desires, it makes it easier to go for it.

Have A Great Day.

thom singer


No comments: