- When thinking about going to the event..... say "Yes" (Just do it)
- When scheduling to stay for the whole event.... say "Yes" (do not shave time off to catch an early flight home)
- When considering participating in the pre-conference webinars.... say "Yes" (more convention planners are adding pre-events to the schedule, join in)
- When signing up for the event's social media updates, Twitter feeds, Facebook pages, LinkedIn groups.... say "Yes" (it will help you start making connections before you arrive)
- When deciding to say at the conference hotel.... say "Yes" (saving money by staying down the street always makes you less engaged in the event)
- When pondering which keynotes to attend.... say "Yes" (to all of them)
- When walking the trade show floor... say "Yes" (to talking with vendors)
- When choosing which break-out sessions to sit in... say "Yes" (to one during each time slot)
- When looking to participate in the networking coffee breaks... say "Yes" (you never know who you will meet)
- When planning to go to happy hour... say "Yes" (do not skip the social situations)
- When you get home and think about following up with the cool people you met... say "Yes" (networking without follow-up is nothing)
- When plotting to escape and run to your room to hide.... say "NO". (it is only for a few days, and even an introvert can be active for the length of the conference)
The choices are yours, but to maximize your participation in a conference, trade show, conventions or other seminar you must be active. Do not rationalize reasons to avoid people. Say "Yes" to people and you will find more opportunities in your future.
Have A Great Day.
Thom Singer is known as "The Conference Catalyst". He works with meeting planners and conference organizers to set the tone for a meeting. His presentations educate, inspire and motivate attendees to engage deeper in the event and make meaningful connections.http://www.conferencecatalyst.com