Sunday, September 04, 2011

First Day of Tennis

I am up early to go play tennis with my kid.  Yesterday I purchased a racket and shoes, and my first "beginner lesson" is all set for Wednesday.  If you read my post from last week, you know I promised my daughter in June that I would take up the sport if she was still interested in playing once September arrived.

She not only took lessons all summer (it was over 100 degrees most of the time), but this week she made the tennis team at her high school.

The kid has amazing focus and an even stronger work ethic.  When she sets her mind to something she is tenacious and finds a way to get to her goal.  Thus I want to support her interest in tennis, and to get good you need to play often.... to play often you need someone to play with... and that is me!

Thus, my own tennis adventure begins.  After a couple of months of lessons I will look at joining an adult league.  I don't just want to knock the ball around, but if I am going to do this, I want to do it right.

For those who know me well, you know I am not much of an athlete.  At 45 years old, this is my first attempt at a sport (beyond my lame-o attempt at little league when I was a kid).

Wish me luck.

thom

***UPDATE - There was a lot of wind at the middle school where the local tennis courts are located (it is on the top of a hill).  It was too windy to really play a full game, but we did practice and play for an hour.  She has learned some exercises to practice and we volleyed back and forth.  It was a lot of fun, and we will go back tomorrow hoping for less wind.  I think my body will be very sore later today, as I used muscles I forgot existed!

No comments: