Wednesday, May 19, 2010

Details, Details, Details. --- OR--- Ready, Fire, Aim!

We all make mistakes. It is just part of the human condition. Nobody is perfect.

I had a typo in the title of my blog post yesterday. With a random keystroke "Never Be Ashamed Of What You Do" became "Never Be Ashamed Of What Your Do". One small letter "r".

My wife caught the mistake (this is proof she does read my blog!). She called me, pointed out the error, and voila..... it was fixed. No big deal. I was glad for her call.

It reminded me that I need to be more attentive to detail.... yet it also reminded me that if I was a perfectionist I would never get anything done. I wrote that blog post in 10 minutes between meetings, and changed the title slightly as the last second ("Your" was the correct word for the initial title). Sometimes when we move fast things like this happen. I would rather do things and have to make minor corrections along the way then worry so much about errors that I never took action.

I have written about this topic before, and I get emails from those who are perfectionists belittling me for my attitude of "Ready, Fire, Aim". Yet as I look at my life, I have accomplished many things with this philosophy. Sure, there have been bumps in the road.... and plenty of times that people have showed me my need to fix a mistake. I am not ashamed that I make errors. I am proud of the things I have attempted to accomplish. I have had some nice victories along the way, too!

What do you think? I want a neurosurgeon to be a perfectionist.... but I am not so concerned if a blogger floats an extra "R" from time to time.

Have A Great Day.

thom


2 comments:

Annette said...

Thom, as a recovering perfectionist I envy your prolific productivity.
Keep on keepin' on!

Unknown said...

I noticed the typo yesterday. Noticed it and forgot it by the time I finished reading the post. So obviously it wasn't a big deal to me. Certainly didn't stop me from subscribing and reading today.