Thursday, December 24, 2009

Christmas Eve Memories


I remember Christmas as a kid. Sure, I liked the food and the gifts (who doesn't), but it is the memories of my family that stick in my head, not any toy I ever received.

My mom and dad made sure Christmas was magical for me, even though I was the only little kid in a house filled with teenagers. My brothers are all a decade older than I am, but it just added to the team of people who helped make it special.

Two memories sing the loudest in my head:

The first happened when I was three-years-old. Around midnight my mother woke me up and quietly brought me down the hall. She told me to be very quiet, but to peak around from the hallway to the living room.

There He was. SANTA. He had a big bag and was placing toys all around the Christmas tree, and I was watching him live and in person. Mom quickly brought me back to bed and sat with me as I fell back to sleep with a big smile on my face.

Can you say WOWWY!?!

It was years later that I learned it was my oldest brother in a Santa suit. He was 17, but padded up very well and hidden under the big white beard.

The second memory was an annual tradition. I was told to be sure to go to sleep quickly, as Santa would pass by making sure all the kids in the world were in bed. Moments after getting into bed, a loud noise of sleigh bells would pass by my window (we lived in the Los Angeles area... not many sleighs, thus it could only be one thing. SANTA). Along with the bells was a bright red light that I could see streak past... even through the closed curtains.

Oh yes, you guessed it.... the light was Rudolph's nose! Can you say WOWWY!?!

I eventually learned it was my three older brothers crossing the lawn with the bells and a flash light covered in red plastic.

My wish for everyone who reads this blog is that you have a wonderful and magical memories in your life all year long. Regardless of your religious beliefs, take advantage of the spirit of Christmas and find joy in your world. I believe that religion goes beyond any particular faith practice, but instead is about the power of faith, love and community. I hope everyone has all those things in abundance.

Merry Christmas, Happy Holidays, Joy, Peace, and Love to all.

Have A Great Day.

thom

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I remember two things from my childhood at Christmas. The first was the year my mom and dad arranged for Santa to come to our house and deliver all the Christmas gifts. We were younger than 10, and quite surprised...and yes, Wowwy!
The second was the time we three older ones (I'm the oldest) got into mom and dad's closet to sneak a peak at the gifts. We even decided who was supposed to get each gift. What a surprise when we got something different! Wowwy, again!

Peace, joy, and love to you and yours, Thom.

~Kathy