Thursday, October 16, 2008

Wellness and the Busy Person

I am always on the go. I am not one of these guys who has a lot of unscheduled downtime (although I do long for it on occasion), and hate just hanging around without a purpose.

With a great job, an exciting opportunity to write books and speak for companies across the country, and an amazing family - there is not much open time on my schedule, and I often worry that I am not doing enough to satisfy any of these areas in my life. Sometimes something has to be left behind, and that often is my attention to my personal wellness, fitness and health. This creates a drain on the energy I need to get through my crazy life.

Having enough energy to go from one activity to the next and not suffering burn out is a problem for many who burn the candle at both ends. Eating right, getting enough sleep, exercise and having some time to contemplate the universe all seem to take a back seat to finishing current projects, running to networking events and keeping up on the plethora of conflicting responsibilities.

Four years ago I lost thirty pounds. I had gotten heavy from a lifestyle that had too little exercise and too much food (and some good wine and beer! Oh, and ice cream. Lots of ice cream). Dropping the weight was not easy and involved the most intense focus I have ever mustered up in my lifetime. The four days a week in the gym were not only necessary to reach my goal, but necessary to keep the weight off.

Over the past year I have neglected my dedication to my health and now I find that about ten pounds have returned, and so has a very slight elevation in my cholesterol. That sucks.

When I look around at the most successful people I know, they make wellness a priority. The image of the "rich and fat" businessman of a century ago is replaced by those at the top being the most fit. Sure, not everyone, but as I look around, health and success seem to be linked. And yet these are the people who have the least amount of free time.

DAMN, there goes my best excuse!

I recently had a my annual physical and I am in great shape for 42 years old, other than that ten pounds and the cholesterol. The good news is that is something I can fix. I also know that with focus on wellness comes more physical and mental energy. Something I need to stay on top of it all on a daily basis.

With the economy in flux, I think that everyone needs to grab onto something positive over which they can have some level of control. We cannot control the stock market, and we seem to have given up on controlling Washington DC (this whole political season has made me sick). Maybe the answer is controlling our future through our health.

Have A Great Day.

thom

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I couldn't agree more. No one has control over you health but you. I used the excuse a job contributed to a large increase in my weight. But that's just an excuse. I control what I do.

Thanks for the encouragement. I'll make some changes too.

Andrew Weaver said...

Excellent post as usual. I have had my ups and downs with this issue as well. At one point I was out of control and resolved to get it under control. In a year and a half I lost 80 lbs. I then convinced myself I was too busy and over the past 2 years I've slowly gained back 20 lbs. It's difficult, but I recently started hitting the gym again and eating better. It's amazing how much better I feel in just a short time.

Isn't it amazing how we somehow convince ourselves we don't have time for something that provides us such great returns? Good luck on your renewed commitment!

Darryl Cross, Rainmaker Fitness said...

Thom, I hope all of your readers take heed of your advice. I write extensively on this topic (www.rainmakerfitness.com), and I believe it is even more important to stay fit when you are walking headfirst into a strong headwind in your career and life.