Tuesday, September 30, 2008

The Miracle of the Middle Seat

A business associate has coined the term "The Miracle of the Middle Seat". When boarding a full flight one never knows who they will get sitting next to them. She has often made great connections thanks to the fate of who sits in the adjacent chair.

Many people are too shy, focused on work, or lazy to turn to the person next to them and say "Hello" - but often this little gesture can expose you to a new business opportunity, entertaining conversation, or just the chance to expand your own horizons.

This week I am flying to Denver to give a presentation at the annual planning session of a major professional services firm. Since hearing the term "The Miracle of the Middle Seat" I am more excited than ever about my air travel.

I look forward to meeting the person in the next seat and hope that they are an interesting soul. Who knows, maybe they will need my company's services or be searching for a keynote speaker for their next business event.

Fortunately, I am not shy -- and I am always open to networking anywhere, anytime.

Have A Great Day.

thom

No comments: