Friday, February 09, 2007

Friday Parade - The Tuxedo


Many years ago I was a groomsman in the wedding of a close friend. Rather than giving each attendant in his wedding an engraved flask or shot glass, the groom had the brilliant idea of buying a tuxedo for each of his groomsmen.

A classic black tuxedo. Over a decade later, I still find this to be the most phenomenal idea I have ever seen for a groomsmen gift. I only have the opportunity to wear a tux once or twice a year, but when I do.... I own my own (no renting and having to wear another man's pants!). I have taken great care of this suit, and it still looks great.

Last night was the Real Estate Council of Austin's annual "Knock Out Night" party. It is one of the top networking events of the year in the local business community, and is "Black Tie". Alas, the chance to wear the penguin suit. Each time I wear it I think of my friend and his wedding...and I am reminded that he is brilliant.

I share this story with you because it is the perfect example doing something out of the ordinary....something extraordinary, which forever makes a person memorable. I have been in several weddings, and I have no memory of any other gift. Yet my tuxedo is cool. (Oh, and yes, I am proud that I once again can fit into my tuxedo after a few years of being 25 pounds fatter!)

Be bold today. Do something extraordinary and forever burn yourself into the soul of another person.

Have A Great Day.

thom
thom@thomsinger.com

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi! I've been reading your blog from the beginning..Thank you for your wonderful work! Keep up the good work.

Anonymous said...

An awesome idea indeed Tom. In my case, it would have doubled the cost of our wedding - can you say "frugle" - and there's no way I'd fit in it any more!

Glad you do. That's an accomplishment in itself.

You ought to have a guy's weekend with all the groomsmen - and the groom - to see who still fits in theirs, and wear them out on the town!

-Mark