Wednesday, January 31, 2007

Wake Up Thought


I have a friend who always has an awesome upbeat attitude. This guy is always in a great mood and spreads his positive disposition to everyone he encounters. It is like having Tony Robbins as your best friend.

He is also one of the most successful entrepreneurs that I know. His business is flourishing, and he is living the American dream. One of the reasons he sites for his extreme success is that he always sees every situation as an opportunity. He never allows himself to be in a bad mood.

He recommended everyone should have a positive "wake up thought". Immediately upon becoming conscious each day, he suggested I think "Today is going to be a great day. I am a genius who is helping others achieve more than they could achieve without me!"

Heck,,,, a little hokey,..... but I figured, why not? Well cook me on the BBQ and slap some cheese on top.....he is right. I have done this for three weeks, and I feel great. No matter what else happens all day, or how others treat me....my mood is noticeably better. My days are more productive.

Many people wake up worried about all the crap that they have to face during the upcoming day. They fret over bills, bosses, deadlines, quotas and other negative thoughts. While you cannot avoid those problems, you can change how you start your day. If you tell yourself that "it is going to be a great day", your brain believes you. By adding the "I am helping others..." part, it makes you feel useful. As for the "genius" part...I just like it.

You don't need to tell anyone about your wake up thought if you are worried that it is weird. Just try it for a week. I do believe that attitude attributes to success. I certainly have improved my attitude (which was already good) by my "wake up thought" ritual. I am confident I will attract more success, too. It certainly wont hurt my efforts.

What did you think about this morning? My guess is that it has effected your attitude ever since.

Have A Great Day.

thom
thom@thomsinger.com

3 comments:

JibberJobber Guy said...

Thom - this is a great post. I've done this before and it really worked for me.

What did I wake up thinking about? I always think about the same 2 things: what am I going to blog about, and how many people signed up on JibberJobber since last night :p

Perhaps I need to have my daily mantra...

Anonymous said...

OK, I tried this and I am frankly amazed at how much of a difference it's made. I guess I never realized how negative my self-talk was or how much doing something simple like this could make a difference in my office productivity (not to mention how I treat my husband and toddler daughter in the morning!) Thanks, Thom, for sharing this awesome idea.

Andrew Weaver said...

Very good stuff.

I've done this in the past, but never as a regular basis. I am usually pretty positive anyway, so I guess it's just not something I've considered practicing on a daily basis.

I'm going to give it a shot and try to make it a habit!