Tuesday, July 25, 2006

Reading at Starbucks


Yesterday morning I was sitting in my favorite Starbuck's reading a book when a friend walked in to get a cup of coffee. He had seen me there on other mornings, as it is part of my routine when I do not have a networking breakfast to grab a little quiet time before going to the office.

"How many books do you read a year?", inquired my friend.

"Around 25", I replied.

"What a waste of time. I have not read a book since college." He went on to get his cup of coffee.

I had no reply. I could not imagine making any of the career strides I have made in the past decade without the knowledge I have gained from reading books. I think continuous learning is one of the most important things that a business professional can do. I know few who continue to improve who do not read.

I felt sorry for my caffinated friend. I mailed him a copy of my book, Some Assembly Required: How to Make, Grow and Keep Your Business Relationships (New Year Publishing, 2005) as a gift.

Have A Great Day.

Thom Singer
www.thomsinger.com
thom@thomsinger.com

No comments: