Thursday, January 26, 2006

Hindsights

Guy Kawasaki has a great post at his "Let The Good Times Roll Blog" in which he states 11 important truths that he has learned through living his life.

These are so true, and yet very entertaining.

In my nearly forty years, I too have learned a couple of things. I will add them here (although, you really should read Guy's post....as my points do not hold a candle to his).

Thom's Hindsights:

1. Bosses are just people. You may want them to be super-human, but many (most?) have all the same flaws as everyone else. Respect them for their strengths and excuse them for their weaknesses.

2. All guys grow up thinking they want a son, but the biggest truth in the world is that there is NOTHING as wonderful as "daddy's little girl". My two daughters teach me more about how to be a good man than anyone or anything on the planet.

3. Youth is wasted on the young. When I was 23 I thought I was hot shit. Now at 39 I realize I was not that special then......or now. It would be great to get to be 23 again, and have all the hindsight and financial security I have now. But it does not work that way for a reason!!!

4. True friends are a special gift. People will come and go from your life. Some will stay. The really special ones stay in good times and bad times. They need to be cherished.

5. Material things are nice, but not as important as many think. A car or a house cannot love you back.

6. You become your parents. I find myself yelling things at my kids like "Don't run with a stick, you'll poke your eye out." Dad used to say this. Funny, I know lots of kids who ran with sticks. Most have two eyes.

7. Some people will not like you. Oh well.

8. As you get closer to forty, it is harder to stay fit. For me it was thirty. I gained 25 pounds. Recently I lost the weight, but have to work very hard to keep it off. When I was 19 I ate at McDonald's all the time. Now I just think of a Big Mac and I need an extra fifteen minutes on the StairMaster.

9. Having a pool is cool when you are twelve. I know, I had one. But I would no sooner want a swimming pool in my backyard now than have a root canal. My dad was a saint to keep that pond clean and chemically balanced. No thanks. I have two words for my daughters: "Community Pool".

10. A 1966 Ford Mustang is a very cool car. My brother Bob gave me his when I turned 16. He took it back when I was 20. Never again will I drive a better car. Bob still has that car. I get to visit it sometimes. I doubt he appreciates it like I do.

11. Say "Thank You" more often. Nobody is an island. The people around us make us who we are. Thanking others is not only the right thing to do, it makes you feel good. If you are reading this blog or have purchased my book....THANK YOU!!!!

Have A Great Day.

Thom Singer
www.thomsinger.com
thom@thomsinger.com

1 comment:

Carlon Haas said...

You hit the nail on the head with "Daddy's girl." When my wife was pregnant, all I wanted was a son. Now that we have our daughter (a Star Wars-obsessed 2 year-old), I couldn't imagine NOT having a girl.